menuMENU    UK Free TV logo Archive (2002-)



Click to see updates

All posts by Ian

Below are all of Ian's postings, with the most recent are at the bottom of the page.

Hi Nick, well done for what you, Brian and like minded people do, I think that all of us on here appreciate your efforts, but I think I've been taken out of context slightly.

It physically costs me money to send a 'man and van' to a customer's premises, and that is why I say nothing is for free, somebody has to pay somewhere.

A man's working time and fuel is not free to me, it cost me 25p per mile to run a van and I pay my engineers an average £15 per hour, so if a were to give free quotations' and the round trip was 12 miles it will cost me £18 plus the money I have to give our government for employing him.

So how would I re-coup my losses, by loading the price charged to the paying customer, but I don't think that is fair, why should I charge somebody for something somebody else has had done for free.

That's why I charge for quotations and if the customer doesn't like it, we won't be calling to see them; it's as simple as that.

Anyway, a happy new year to one and all.

link to this comment

Quote "Tom Fletcher, 'a reasonable price to pay is £90-£100 for a good quality aerial fit" end quote

That is probably a 'Sheffield' price; prices vary up and down the country due to the local cost of living.

In the South East a Service Call charge can be around the £70 mark, a Standard aerial installation using a benchmarked aerial would set you be about £170

link to this comment

Yes, the licence is for the possession of a device able to receive TV broadcast, not what it's hooked up too.

Years ago the Telecommunications Act was changed because when Sky came about, people thought that if they didn't have an aerial, and had a dish instead, they wouldn't need a TV licence, now at the time that may have been correct, so the Act was changed so that the licence is for the receiving device and not what they watch'.

I remember some thought that the licence was to watch the BBC channels being as ITV was paid for by the advertisements. So if they claimed that they didn't watch BBC, they shouldn't have to pay for a licence.

If you go into PC World (and ALL other retail outlets) and purchase a TV card for your PC, they are legally required to take your address details and inform the Licencing Authority.

Under the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1967 (as amended), they need to provide the Authority with the specified details for each sale or rental within 28 days of the transaction. This includes new or second-hand TVs, DVD/Video recorders, digital boxes, TV enabled computers and PCs with broadcast TV cards. Failure to inform the Authority can result in a fine of up to £1,000 per offence.

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

Brian, not so sure that you are correct in your reply to Tim, the fact that he is using a device to receive broadcasts in the UK requires him to have a licence for that device.

link to this comment

Sorry my mistake, it wasn't Tim, it was Ray.

link to this comment

Just found this Mark on the TV Licencing site:

What are the terms and conditions of a standard TV Licence?

You means the person named on the licence.

TV equipment means television receiving equipment, such as a TV set, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

What is a TV Licence needed for?

To use any TV equipment to watch or record any TV programmes as they are being shown on television.

This includes watching or recording streamed services and satellite TV broadcast from outside the UK. If you only watch on-demand services, then you don't need a licence.

What does your licence allow?

The licence allows installation and use of TV equipment:

At the licensed place by anyone.

In a vehicle, boat or caravan by:

You and anyone who normally lives with You at the licensed place (so long as TV equipment is not being used in a non-touring caravan and at the licensed place at the same time).

Anyone, who normally works at the licensed place (so long as the vehicle, boat or caravan is being used for a business purpose).

Use of TV equipment powered by internal batteries anywhere:

By You and anyone who normally lives with You at the licensed place.

So the last bit I think answers Ray's question, he needs a licence for the TV, but HE can use it anywhere.

link to this comment

Ian (the other Ian), I think that by using a 0800 number, most, maybe not you, are trying to hide where you are actually located. With todays FREE or BUILT IN CALLING BUNDLE don't you think most people have access to a Free call anyway from their mobile or broadband line?

Do you really need customers who won't or can't be bothered to pay 20p for a phone call?

BRY, First question, what do you think that you ought to have paid for the work they did for you?

Second question, what is your trade, what are you employed as?

link to this comment

Adrian: Talk to Trading Standards, as it would appear that they didn't give you a 7 day cancellation period.

The other thing, stopping a cheque, it is illegal. It's like stealing back your money, it's illegal. If they were to take you to the small claims court they would win hands down, stopping a cheque is not the way the courts like to see issues resolved.

I can understand why you did it, but at the end of the day, it is still illegal.

Speak to Trading Standards, and quickly!

link to this comment

Might be difficult to prove duress when the numbers add up to 3 against 1.

Unless Adrian has a witness(es).

Under law, when you write a cheque to someone you effectively promise that the cheque will definitely be honoured by your Bank, and if for whatever reason the Bank does not honour the cheque you imply that you will compensate that person in full.

So, if someone's (it could be anyone company, customer, friend, family) cheque is not honoured or is stopped by them (for example, by a customer because they are unhappy with the goods or services you supplied to them), you can immediately sue that person and there is virtually no defence that the customer can raise to that claim.

link to this comment

Off topic but of interest.

Old lady opposite me locked herself out, she had a key but because she had left a key in the lock on the inside, the outside key wouldn't opperate. It one of these white replacement doors. She called a locksmith who quoted £100, she asked if there was any discount for an O.A.P., the answer was no. She had to give her debit card over the phone before they would call. This she did.

Last November she lost her husband suddenly so she is in a bit of a tiss.

I saw the guy arrive, he looked at the door, went to his van and got out a 'bar device' which fitted through the letterbox. The door was opened in about 90 seconds from his arrival. I heard him say 'I'll just do the paperwork' he went into the house with a clipboard. A few minutes later he was on his way. I timed him, 8 minutes and 42 seconds.

That works out at about £500 per hour and no risk to life or limb.

link to this comment

Paul Barnes, thanks for that list, it answers some of my search queries.

The registrant seems to be 'The Dakota Group' anybody know anything about them?

Companies House doesn't throw much light.

link to this comment
Page 1